Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Flamboyant Hrithik Roshan finalized for lead in ‘Agneepath’ remake

Director Karan Johar is known for his light romantic movies and family drama. Now, the director is all set to venture into the new territory of action film to fulfil his late dad’s wish to go for the remake of blockbuster ‘Agneepath’.
And guess who is going to play the legendary character of Vijay Dinanath Chauhan which was originally played by Amitabh Bachchan? It is none other than the flambuoyant Hrithik Roshan.

KJo says, “By remaking this film, I will be living up to a promise I made to my father. Amit uncle’s version had one of his finest performances, he even won the National Award for it. The movie is the quintessential underworld film that has become a point of reference for several filmmakers. Vijay Dinanath Chauhan, the character that Amit uncle played, is etched in everyone’s memory. My father (Yash Johar) often wondered why this film didn’t get the kind of commercial success it should have. He constantly told me, ‘Karan, we must remake “Agneepath.’” Somehow, I couldn’t see myself directing the remake. But when my assistant Karan Malhotra, who was my backbone during ” My Name Is Khan”, said he would like to revisit this subject and recreate the magic, I instantly agreed to produce it.”

The remake will definitely come with some changes. The character of Krishnan Iyer MA, played by Mithun Chakraborty, will be done away with. Though it has not been confirmed, but rumors have it that Priyanka Chopra will play Hrithik’s love interest and Nana Patekar will play the role of Kancha-cheena made famous by Danny Denzongpa.

However, Karan refuses to confirm the rest of the star cast. “At this point, we have Hrithik on board for Amit uncle’s role. I will announce the other names shortly,” he says, and adds, “Duggu has heard the script and he loved it. He is as thrilled about this film as Karan (Malhotra) and I are.”