Monday, August 2, 2010

Boys suck! : Sonam

Sonam Kapoor

Daddy’s little daughter is all grown up and ready to take the world in her stride. More so, with her upcoming project, Aisha. The film might be the story of a woman, who has not yet come of age, but in reality Sonam Kapoor is far from it and many things more. In town to promote her latest film, the actor is her usual bubbly, chirpy self, outrightly proving to be the jaan of the show. First things first. Aisha is based on Jane Austen’s Emma and the voracious reader that Sonam is, she has read the novel “five to six times” for Aisha. “Of course, I had read Emma when I was in Class VIII. In fact, I have gone through all Austen novels,” fills in Sonam. And then she goes on to elaborate why Austen wrote, ‘I am going to take a heroine whom no-one but myself will much like.’ Hmmm. We like the fact that our heroine has more to her than just a pretty face and a fancy wardrobe. As she talks about her film, Sonam stresses how her father was a “proud dad” with this project. “He treats us like boys and tells us that we have do well in life and give our best to whatever we do. He keeps setting examples of Serena and Venus Williams,” says Sonam, adding that meeting her dad’s expectations was pressurising. “Our parents expect us to be well-brought up and polite to everyone,” she explains.

Interestingly, this daughter also thinks the world of her sister, Rhea, who turns producer with this project. “She is cute. In fact, Rhea was the youngest in the team, but she was the biggest boss and the leader. It’s to her credit that we wrapped up the shoot within 67 days instead of the scheduled 69 days,” Sonam’s affection and pride for Rhea is all pervasive. The sister continues, “Rhea and I are like chalk and cheese. I’d give her a 10 on 10 though she is a dictator — the female Hitler.”

So, how would this “female Hitler” rate her as an actor? “Oh, she doesn’t think I am a very good actor,” answers Sonam. Ask her how different or similar the two minds are and Sonam opines, “Rhea is the more practical of the two of us. While I love flowers and cooking, she hates cooking but loves to eat. She is very good at giving practical suggestions though.”

When we suggest that Sonam surely must be daddy’s girl, she turns to Rhea for clarification. “Am I daddy’s girl or mama’s darling, Rhea?” Sister dear votes for mama’s daughter and Sonam sticks with that answer.

We accept without further ado. And while on her mother, Sonam reveals that her sense of style has come from her mother. “She is strict and everyone is afraid of her. But she has a soft side to her too,” Sonam confides.

Attention soon diverts once again to the real Sonam. One question that keeps bugging her is whether she, too, like Aisha loves match-making? “You bet, I do. But I just mess up. If I can’t find a man for myself, how can you expect me to find a suitable match for someone else?” Sonam jokes and then goes to break hearts with a twinkle in her eye, “I have no intentions of marrying now. Boys suck!” The actor, however, is all praise for one “boy” — Abhay Deol. “He is awesome,” Sonam adds.

Now that Sonam has made films her cup of tea, she shares her views on donning the director’s hat. “Acting is my passion. I am not a people’s person. I can’t manage a crowd. I want to be a writer,” Sonam seems to have it all chalked out. We promise to wait and watch!